I did have to go through three supermarkets to find flat ice cream cones, and luckily Sainsbury had them. Surprisingly they bake well and don't burn.
I think I still need to practice my icing skills as the first couple didn't turn out as nice, but the last batch looked very pretty if I do say so myself. Using a piping bag is key. Makes it much easier to get the batter into the cones.
Here's the recipe: (it's in metric but it can be easily converted)
12 flat bottom ice cream cones
200g softened butter
200g plain flour(all purpose flour)
4 tbsp custard powder( can omit if you can't find)
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs beaten
250g butter softened
250g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Sprinkles, wafers, chocolate, sauce etc
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Sit the cones in a muffin tin
2. Put butter, flour, custard powder,vanilla,sugar and eggs in large mixing bowl. Beat together with electric mixer until smooth.
3. Spoon cake batter into piping bag then pipe into cones filling 3/4 full.
4. Bake cones for 30 min poking center until it comes out clean. Leave to cool.
5. To decorate the cakes, beat butter until smooth, then add icing sugar and vanilla until well mixed. Put into piping bag fitted with big star nozzle, then pipe icing on top of each cake.
6. Decorate with sprinkles and other things.