Thursday, April 1, 2010

what is a caper?

after enjoying a delicious nicoise salad (made by my cousin's wife, kim) in seattle, i've enjoyed making it two times. once for my roommate, when i returned home, and then again for my friend who's housing me while i'm visiting ny.

i checked my friend's fridge to see what she already had, and i walked to the local korean market to get what i needed. i crossed my fingers hoping that i could find everything at the market, and i did! they had boston lettuce, capers, fresh green beans, red wine vinegar, shallots and dijon mustard! it was a one stop shop.

i came back to my friend's apartment, and i started to prepare the salad. it's great being in the kitchen of someone who cooks. she had enough pots, utensils, bowls, seasonings, etc. i was able to find everything i needed to make the salad. if you're wondering why i need pots for this salad, check out the recipe. i love the color and components in this salad.

as we ate the salad, i asked my friend, "what's a caper?"
she looked at me and responded, "i don't actually know."

so i looked it up on wikipedia which defines a caper as "a perennial spiny bush that bears rounded, fleshy leaves and big white to pinkish-white flowers. a caper is also the pickled bud of this plant."

i've never been a big fan of capers, but i think it's b/c i don't know how to use them. but there's something intriguing about this little bud that gives a bite of saltiness. but i think i'm liking the caper!




No comments:

Post a Comment